The rear end of the stock was junk and actually on the firewood pile. But then, just as I was ready to feed it into the fireplace, I had second thoughts. The grain seemed great for a boardcut.
I sawed a slingshot out of it.
Then I glued on a piece of orange osage, a leftover.
After the filework was done, I had a nice piece. Tested it in the vise, no issues, it is very strong.
I oiled it with linseed, which tinted the wood into the original dark brown it had when it was a stock.
Then I decided to do a poly job on it. In most cases I simply put the poly on carefully, sand the little dust particles off with 1200 grit, and polish it. That makes a nice shine, but it also is a bit uneven. This time, I wanted perfection.
So I sanded the whole polycoat over until it was absolutely even. Then I used 1200 grit and finally car chrome polish. Now the piece is probably my nicest poly job ever. It looks like on of these Japanese laquiring bowls - those are made pretty much the same way.
A very nice piece, and a good shooter too!