I have a very old walnut tree in my garden. It still gives us many walnuts, but it also has several dead limbs. So I took my trusted chain saw sword and cut one of them off.
It must have been dead for a looong time, bone dry and with lots of growth on the bark.
Stripped the bark of and applied the outlines - a narrowed version of the Hand Mortar design.
I cut the frame out and did the file- and sanding work.
The marrow was brittle, I removed it and filled the holes with epoxy+sawdust.
Here is the piece oiled and sanded (80 grit), awaiting the polyurethane coating (I always like to do that on pieces that are as old as this one).
Will post some pics from the final finish, as soon as the coatings are done.