John from Texas gave me this natural fork. It was very rustic, and obviously the grubs had been at it for some time. Seems like it was dead for at least a year, bone dry for sure.
First, I removed the bark. The grub canals came to dailight quickly.
I then decided upon the shape. I wanted to retain the forward canted angle of the fork, and at the same time I needed enough solid wood to make this a functional, strong slingshot. Took me while.
Then I cut the front and back. The typical hammer handle shape emerged for the first time. You can also see that the grub holes aren't that bad.
I closed the grub canals with a mix of the wood's own sawdust and tow component epoxy glue.
Then, I filed everything flush and started the sandpaper work. Here you can see it at the 80 grit stage.
This is the final slingshot, all polished and oiled (raw linseed oil)!
Some more pics of the beautiful frame: