Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Slingtaurus

This new frame is my (off the record) entry for the great zodiac sign slingshot contest!

Find the rules and prizes here

It is also one of the prizes for the winner of this month - "The Bull".

The handle is European Dogwood, almost fully covered with cow hide. The leather is glued on creaslessly, the seam is fused. Rock hard.

The "face" is Thuja wood, with Svarovski crystals as pupils.Painted the eyes and nostrils alarm red.

The fork is Multiplex. I inked and oiled it so it matches the color of the Thuja.

This whole design is based on this picture of a male African buffalo - monsters that  can weigh 1,000 kg (2200 lb).

This is a very functional hammergrip shooter - actually, the grip is really comfortable. 




My take looks like this:







5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the contour of the horns. It will be interesting to see how different people approach this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one badass slingshot, looks almost ritualistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this very much as it adds a 'historical' view, if one allows rubber back in the days of Minoans. However, I suspect those well crafted horns will not last for long as the layers of multiplex will vibrate apart, but prefer that I am incorrect in my assumption. It really does look as if it came from long, long, ago. Well done, Joerg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. It may not be too large to meet the purpose. Small catapults my favorite. As always, good job!

    ReplyDelete